Landlord / Tenant Rental insurance - Overseas Property insurance - Holiday Homes insurance - Travel insurance - Boat Insurance - Motor insurance - Car Hire Excess insurance - Van hire excess insurance - Motorhome excess insurance - Student insurance - Health insurance - Business Insurance - Pet Insurance - Wedding Insurance - Cycle and Motor Bike Insurance and a lot more.........

Please note that you must check the terms and conditions at any site you purchase insurance products from that you will accessed from a link on this site

Select Insurance Product Here
Property Resources - Part "P" Buildings Regulations (Electrical Safety in Dwellings)
  Insurance Product Locator
  Use this Search facility or select from the Menu below
site search by freefind

Landlord Rental Insurance HomeLet - Rentguard - Intasure -


Tenants Rental Insurance HomeLet - Rentguard-

  Buy to Let Landlords Insurance
  Holiday Homes Property Insurance & UK & Overseas Property Insurance
  Second Home Property Insurance including chalet/cabin
  Home & Contents Property Insurance for the UK including Listed Buildings

Blocks of Flats Insurance

  Business Insurance
  Northern Ireland Residents Insurance

Bicycle Insurance

  Car-Bike-Van- Caravan-Taxi- Motor vehicle Insurance

Holiday & Travel Insurance

Gap Year Backpacker Insurance
Car hire / van hire / motor home hire excess insurance
Car Hire / van Hire / Motorhome Hire / Minibus Hire Excess Insurance from Questor

Pet Insurance

Business Insurance

Wedding Insurance

Boat Insurance

Health and life Insurance
  Other Insurance

Self drive hire vehicle company rental insurance

FACT FILE - Part "P" Building Regulations (Electrical Safety in Dwellings)

From 1 January 2005, people carrying out electrical work in homes and gardens in England and Wales will have to follow the new rules in the Building Regulations. These apply to all properties either let as holiday rentals, long term lettings or owner occupied (not let). The rules are set out in Part P Building Regulations (Electrical Safety in Dwellings). Failure to comply with these Regulations is a criminal offence, which could result in a maximum fine of £5,000 and or imprisonment.

Why has the Government introduced the new rules? To reduce the number of deaths, injuries and fires caused by faulty electrical installations and to make it harder for 'cowboy builders' to leave electrical installations in an unsafe condition.

In very general terms these regulations require that works, repairs, maintenance etc., on "electrical installations", in certain areas of a property, are now known as "notifiable" works and as such must only be carried out by a "competent person".

Who is a "Competent Person"? Someone who is currently registered with an approved self-certification scheme, which monitors and regulates his or her activities, competence etc.

The competent person can "self-certify" the relevant works and he (or she) then has a responsibility to provide the customer and the local authority building control department with a copy Certificate relating to the notifiable works. If your property is let out then you will need to maintain a copy of any such certificate in their management files for possible future reference.

Someone who is not a "competent person" could still do the works as long as they seek appropriate approval from their local authority Building Control department, before and after the works are carried out. In most cases an officer from the department will wish to visit the property and inspect the works and may require the applicant to submit suitable drawings or schematics.

What does an "Electrical Installation" mean? Fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer's side of the electricity supply meter in a dwelling or in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings; and that includes sheds, garages and greenhouses.

Non notifiable works: Although you should take guidance from the Building Control department generally these would include repairs, replacements and maintenance; and additions or alterations to existing circuits outside kitchens and bathrooms: Replacing power sockets (white laminate with chrome for example), replacing a damaged power cable, replacing a light switch or ceiling rose, adding lighting points, sockets and fused spurs to existing circuits as long as they are not in a special location or special installation.

Special Locations / installations: Kitchen - bathroom/shower room, garden lighting and swimming pools.

When the Notifiable work is carried out Will I get a certificate that the electrical work meets the requirements of the Building Regulations? Yes - a qualified installer should give you a signed BS 7671 electrical safety certificate for all types of electrical work. If you use a registered installer for notifiable work, the operator of the registration scheme will send you a Building Regulations compliance certificate. If you use an unregistered installer for notifiable work, the Building Control Service will inspect the work to check that it complies with the Building Regulations before issuing a completion certificate.

What will happen if the owner does not follow the Building Regulations?

  • The electrical installation might not be safe.
  • You will have no record of the work done.
  • You may have difficulty selling your home if you do not have the right electrical safety certificates.
  • Your local authority's Building Control Department may insist that you put right faulty work.

Where can I get more information? From your local authority's Building Control Department who publish a free 'Explanatory Booklet on the Building Regulations'. Or visit www.odpm.gov.uk/explanatory-booklet for a copy

N.B. This information should not be relied on for accuracy and is presented here without the responsibility of jml Property Service and the website it is being displayed at. ©jml property Services 04-05

HOW DO I LET MY PROPERTY? and much more detailed information on rental properties CLICK HERE

Buy To Let - Europe

Click Here for further Information

Renting in Ireland - Private Residential Tenancies Board of Ireland

Click Here for further Information

Information for landlords letting or thinking of letting a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) - New Rules for Landlords - Anti-Social Behaviour Act (Scotland) 2004 - Click Here for further information

Housing Act 2004 - Chapter 34 -Click Here


Looking for Landlords Insurance? Click Here for further Information

Looking for Tenants Insurance? Click Here for further Information

Looking for Holiday Home Insurance? Click Here for further Information

Looking for car hire excess Insurance? Click Here for further Information

Looking for Insurance, mobile phone and other online shopping? Click Here for further Information

Looking for Travel Insurance? Click Here for further Information




Property Insurance


UK main residence Property Insurance

















Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Site Map| About us | jml Property Insurance Press Room

jml Property Insurance.co.uk /jml Property Services acts purely as an online web promotion service for insurance companies. We are not insurance brokers and are unable to offer advice or deal with any of our advertisers enquiries. It is not an insurance comparison price website.. All dealing must be with the insurance company that you will gain access to via a link from this website. jml Property Services are unable to give advice either verbally or in writing regarding insurance or assist with changes to insurance policies that you have taken out. You must contact the insurer direct. We are therefore unable to provide any quotes ourselves as we would be breaking the law.

Please note: The General Data Protection Regulations May 25th 2018 - Please note we do not collect any personal information from visitors to this website. Links to Google Analytics were removed in March 2018.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: By continuing to use this website you shall be deemed to be bound by and to have accepted our Terms of Use - Privacy - Cookies

jml Property Services is a trading name of Jeffrey Milner Ltd - PO Box 80 - Princes Risborough - Buckinghamshire - HP27 0WA - England - Established 1979

© 2004 - 2020 jml Property Insurance - Regularly updated - All rights reserved

Find us at | | |