Landlord / Tenant Rental insurance - Overseas Property insurance - Holiday Homes insurance - Travel insurance - Boat Insurance - Motor insurance - Car Hire Excess insurance - Van hire excess insurance - Motorhome excess insurance - Student insurance - Health insurance - Business Insurance - Pet Insurance - Wedding Insurance - Cycle and Motor Bike Insurance and a lot more.........

Please note that you must check the terms and conditions at any site you purchase insurance products from that you will accessed from a link on this site

Select Insurance Product Here
Listed Buildings Insurance in the UK from Intasure insurance
  Insurance Product Locator
  Use this Search facility or select from the Menu below
site search by freefind

Landlord Rental Insurance HomeLet - Rentguard - Intasure -


Tenants Rental Insurance HomeLet - Rentguard-

  Buy to Let Landlords Insurance
  Holiday Homes Property Insurance & UK & Overseas Property Insurance
  Second Home Property Insurance including chalet/cabin
  Home & Contents Property Insurance for the UK including Listed Buildings

Blocks of Flats Insurance

  Business Insurance
  Northern Ireland Residents Insurance

Bicycle Insurance

  Car-Bike-Van- Caravan-Taxi- Motor vehicle Insurance

Holiday & Travel Insurance

Gap Year Backpacker Insurance
Car hire / van hire / motor home hire excess insurance
Car Hire / van Hire / Motorhome Hire / Minibus Hire Excess Insurance from Questor

Pet Insurance

Business Insurance

Wedding Insurance

Boat Insurance

Health and life Insurance
  Other Insurance

Self drive hire vehicle company rental insurance

Listed Buildings Insurance in the UK from Intasure insurance

Private dwelling granted Grade II or Grade II* status. In Scotland, buildings granted B and C status. Listed buildings to be of

  • standard construction
  • wattle and daub
  • lathe and plaster
  • timber framed
  • cob
  • Very competitive rates
  • All risk cover
  • Underwritten by Lloyd's of London

Listed Buildings Insurance:

Listed Homes

Within the UK there are approximately 500,000 homes which have been listed by English Heritage www.english-heritage.org.uk either directly or indirectly. A listing places strict legally enforceable restrictions on any internal or external alterations, planning, change of use and maintenance undertaken by the current listed property owner. The regulations also cover demolition and extensions.

To obtain official permission to undertake any of the above works the listed building householder must apply to the Conservation Officer at their local district council to obtain “Listed Building Consent” LBC. The penalties for failing to obtain listed building consent can be severe. At the very least a court may order the property owner to return the building to its pre altered state. At its most draconian the property owner may face criminal charges.

Historically, the system of state protected structures was formalised with the introduction of the “Ancient Monuments Protection Act” in 1882. Historic and culturally important structures such as Stonehenge were protected by this act as a “scheduled ancient monument”.

However, it was the aftermath of the Nazi World War 11 aerial bombing campaign which accelerated the development of building protection. It began in earnest post war with the combined efforts of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings and three hundred members of the Royal Institute of British Architects appointed and supervised by the Inspectorate of Ancient Monuments.

Today, overall responsibility for the English system of Listing lies with the Secretary of State / Department of Culture, Media and Sport. Their powers have been invested in a body known as English Heritage. The relevant statutory law from which their authority is derived is the “Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990. Different systems and procedures have been devolved to Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. In Wales the official listing authority is the CADW www.cadw.wales.gov.uk In Scotland it is Historic Scotland www.historic-scotland.gov.uk and in Northern Ireland it is the Northern Ireland Environmental Agency www.ni-environment.gov.uk

It is not just houses which can be listed. Other examples include seaside piers (approx 80), bridges, sculptures, factories, public houses, theatres, monuments, war memorials, cemeteries, churches (approx 45% of Grade I listed structures) and even milestones and mileposts. As a general rule, properties or structures constructed prior to 1700 and in original condition will be listed; structures built before 1840 will generally be listed; properties built after 1840 may be listed if English Heritage consider them to be of special interest or an exceptional example of a specific build type.

Furthermore, other important criteria would be structures built by well known and notable architects; buildings which present important examples of different building techniques; buildings of special historical interest linked with a notable historic figure or event. For example John Lennon’s childhood home in Liverpool is now owned by the National Trust. Lastly, a collection of buildings may have a “group” architectural value such as a famous square, terrace or model village. As the Gestalt psychology movement advocated – sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts.

Conservation Areas

A Conservation area is an area of special architectural or historical interest. The difference between a Conservation Area and an English Heritage Grade listing is that Conservation Area Consent is only concerned with the exterior appearance and the materials used whereas a listed building has restrictions placed upon both the exterior and the interior of the building.

General Information:

For new listed property homeowners it is particularly important to check that any previous works carried out on the property have adhered to the correct bureaucratic procedure. Listed Buildings Consent should have been obtained from the Conservation Officer at the local district council. Otherwise the dreaded expression Caveat Emptor rears its head. In other words, the current occupier will be legally liable for any further works deemed necessary by English Heritage and this may include returning the property to its original condition prior to the unauthorised work. Bearing this in mind, It may be advisable to employ the services of an experienced listed building conveyancing Solicitor during the purchase process.

Quote Desk are also looking to develop a clause in our Legal Expenses Insurance to cover such events should they arise. It is also good practice to take photographic evidence of the listed property at the point of occupation in case visual evidence is needed at a future point in time. Please also bear in mind that the listing order often includes the property’s curtailage which is defined as the ground and its surrounding area and may include walls close to the property.

There are many restriction put in place to safeguard the appearance and integrity of a listed building. Permission under Listed Building Consent LPC which at the present time is usually free may be needed before a variety of tasks including ordinary maintenance tasks are undertaken. For example these include, alterations to staircases, panelling or fireplaces; painting over brickwork; change of use of the building; changing the windows or adding Velux, dormer or skylight windows; interfering with the external property surfaces; moving or demolishing internal walls either load bearing or non load bearing ; erecting satellite dishes or aerials. If in doubt it is best to check with your local Conservation Officer.

A Listed Building Consent LPC application is fairly detailed and would involve obtained a detailed site plan, ordinance survey map, a full and detailed description of the works and a full set of architectural scale drawings detailing the commencement position and the end result with internal building footprints, floor plans and changes to elevations. In the event of an official declinature from the Conservation Officer there is an Appeals process which is handled by the Secretary of State for the Environment. Anecdotal evidence suggests this can be a lengthy process.

There are a number of useful web based advice centres aimed at the Listed Building owner. Two very informative sites are www.historicbuilding.co.uk (the Historic Building Advisory Service) and www.lpoc.co.uk (the Listed Property Owners Club). Information available on these sites includes advice on available grants, loans available for listed property and VAT / tax issues.

Intasure ® is a trading name of Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered Office: Spectrum Building, 7th Floor, 55 Blythswood Street, Glasgow, G2 7AT. Registered in Scotland. Company Number: SC108909


Back to Intasure insurance products



Property Insurance


UK main residence Property Insurance

















Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Site Map| About us | jml Property Insurance Press Room

jml Property Insurance.co.uk /jml Property Services acts purely as an online web promotion service for insurance companies. We are not insurance brokers and are unable to offer advice or deal with any of our advertisers enquiries. It is not an insurance comparison price website.. All dealing must be with the insurance company that you will gain access to via a link from this website. jml Property Services are unable to give advice either verbally or in writing regarding insurance or assist with changes to insurance policies that you have taken out. You must contact the insurer direct. We are therefore unable to provide any quotes ourselves as we would be breaking the law.

Please note: The General Data Protection Regulations May 25th 2018 - Please note we do not collect any personal information from visitors to this website. Links to Google Analytics were removed in March 2018.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: By continuing to use this website you shall be deemed to be bound by and to have accepted our Terms of Use - Privacy - Cookies

jml Property Services is a trading name of Jeffrey Milner Ltd - Kildare - Chapel Hill - Speen - Princes Risborough - Buckinghamshire - HP27 0SP - England - Established 1979

© 2004 - 2020 jml Property Insurance - Regularly updated - All rights reserved

Find us at | | |